Network and Security Engineer Data Core
Network and Security Engineer Data Core
Who are we?
VIB (Vlaams Instituut voor Biotechnologie) is an entrepreneurial non-profit research institute, with a clear focus on ground-breaking strategic basic research in life sciences and operates in close partnership with the five universities in Flanders.
The VIB Data Core is a new initiative that will offer hardware, software, and data-related services for non-sensitive and sensitive data to scientists of the Research Centers. VIB Data Core will establish an infrastructure for sensitive data, such as human genome information, which will be linked to public health and clinical data.
To strengthen our Data Center operations team, we are looking for a Network and Security Engineer.
What's the role about?
As Network and Security Engineer you will be responsible for the VIB network components and ensure cybersecurity for the complete infrastructure. You will further develop the network infrastructure across VIB to ensure performant access to central services for all VIB Centers.
You will, in collaboration with Sciensano and (inter)national colleagues, co-develop this sensitive data infrastructure and be responsible for the deployment of security procedures and applications to ensure the secure access and sharing of sensitive data.
What are your responsibilities?
As Network and Security Engineer you will:
- Install, maintain, upgrade, and optimise the network infrastructure to ensure a robust, performant, and secure environment.
- Design custom infrastructure solutions for our scientists.
- Automate common tasks with Ansible.
- Assist your colleague system engineers with their network and security-related issues.
- Contribute to monitoring solutions.
How can you add value to our team?
- You obtained a Bachelor's or Master's degree in an IT-related field or you can present relevant experience.
- You have experience as a network & security engineer in a complex environment.
- Must haves:
- Experience with network appliance operating systems (such as Cisco NX-OS, IOS, Dell OS10);
- Experience with enterprise firewalls (such as Fortigate, Palo Alto);
- Experience with XDR/MDR/EDR (such as Sophos, rapid7, …)
- Nice to have:
- Networking certificates (CCNA, CCNP, CCIE Datacenter, Fortinet NSE, …).
- Experience with LDAP, AD, (free)radius
- Experience with Azure networks
- Security hardening of services in Linux
- You are a team player that feels comfortable working in an international team.
- You are someone with great maturity and independence who can work well independently.
- You have strong analytical skills and are able to think with the organization and develop improvement proposals.
- You can deal with a rapidly changing environment. Standing still is going backwards.
- You have strong communication skills and good knowledge of the English language, both oral and written.
What can we offer you?
- An open-ended contract.
- Competitive salary based on experience and expertise.
- A strong salary package with multiple benefits (ie internet allowance, eco vouchers, smartphone, group insurance …).
- 32 holidays (incl. 12 ADV-days – 40h/week).
- You will work within an innovative, challenging, and international working environment in the large life-sciences network of VIB and the ELIXIR infrastructure across Europe.
- You can help build the foundations of the Data Core. A very interesting experience with lots of learning opportunities.
- We offer opportunities for personal development. Taking additional training and courses is certainly possible if relevant to the performance of the job.
- Our offices are located at the Tech Lane Ghent Science Park, a vibrant ecosystem of international corporate R&D centers. Possibility of homeworking (2 days/week), with a balance between working from a remote location and from the office. We are flexible regarding work location and working hours.
Would you like to join our team?
If you are interested in this challenging and rewarding opportunity, please submit your application online, including your CV and letter of motivation, through Jobsoid.
For more information or questions, please contact Hans.VanDerLooven@orbid.be.