System Engineer Data Core
System Engineer Data Core
Who are we?
VIB (Vlaams Instituut voor Biotechnologie) is an entrepreneurial non-profit research institute, with a clear focus on ground-breaking strategic basic research in life sciences and operates in close partnership with the five universities in Flanders.
The VIB Data Core is a new initiative that will offer hardware, software, and data-related services for non-sensitive and sensitive data to scientists of the Research Centers. More specifically, the Core strives to increase the quality, standardisation, reproducibility, and efficiency across the data life cycle - from project planning and data acquisition to knowledge generation, and publication and archiving of the research data according to FAIR principles. The VIB Data Core works closely together with experts from the ELIXIR consortium, a European research infrastructure that unites Europe’s leading life-science organisations.
To strengthen our Data Center operations team, we are looking for System Engineers and Storage & System Engineers.
What's the role about?
As a system Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, configuring, and maintaining the IT infrastructure. You will support our scientists where possible. We are looking for multiple profiles to join our team. Depending on your expertise and interests, your focus will be more on server or on storage systems. You will report to the Team lead of the Data Center.
What are your responsibilities?
As a System Engineer, you will:
- Design custom infrastructure solutions for our scientists;
- Maintain and optimise our virtualized environments;
- Proactively contribute to the improvement of the quality of the services and infrastructure;
- Automate common tasks with Ansible and Bash, Python & Powershell scripting;
- Configure and support a high-performance computing environment.
As a Storage and System Engineer, you will also:
- Install, maintain, upgrade, and optimise the storage infrastructure to ensure a robust, performant, and secure environment;
- Develop a redundant storage platform with backup and archive solutions.
How can you add value to our team?
Technical skills / knowledge
- You obtained a Bachelor's or Master's degree in an IT-related field or you can present relevant experience.
- You have experience as a systems engineer in a complex environment.
- Must haves:
- Linux knowledge: you are familiar with building Linux environments.
- Experience with virtualisation platforms
- Ansible automation
- Experience in writing scripts e.g. in bash, python
- Nice to haves:
- VMware vcenter and vsan
- Openstack virtualization
- Experience with installing bioinformatics tools and HPC environments
- Experience with container orchestration
- For the focus on storage:
- Previous experience with enterprise-grade storage systems (Netapp, EMC, …).
- Knowledge of backup and archiving solutions (networker, veeam, tape, datadomain, …).
- You are a team player that feels comfortable working in an international team.
- You are someone with great maturity and independence who can work well independently.
- You have strong analytical skills and are able to think with the organization and develop improvement proposals.
- You can deal with a rapidly changing environment. Standing still is going backwards.
- You have strong communication skills and good knowledge of the English language, both oral and written.
What can we offer you?
- An open-ended contract.
- Competitive salary based on experience and expertise.
- A strong salary package with multiple benefits (ie internet allowance, eco vouchers, smartphone, group insurance …).
- 32 holidays (incl. 12 ADV-days – 40h/week).
- You will work within an innovative, challenging, and international working environment in the large life-sciences network of VIB and the ELIXIR infrastructure across Europe.
- You can help build the foundations of the Data Core. A very interesting experience with lots of learning opportunities.
- We offer opportunities for personal development. Taking additional training and courses is certainly possible if relevant to the performance of the job.
- Our offices are located at the Tech Lane Ghent Science Park, a vibrant ecosystem of international corporate R&D centers. Possibility of homeworking (2 days/week), with a balance between working from a remote location and from the office. We are flexible regarding work location and working hours.
Would you like to join our team?
If you are interested in this challenging and rewarding opportunity, please submit your application online, including your CV and letter of motivation, through Jobsoid.
For more information or questions, please contact Hans.VanDerLooven@orbid.be.